- Total playing time should not exceed 74 minutes and 44 seconds (according to The Philips Red Book), but it possible to press CDs with longer playing times. However, 8Merch does not take responsibility for the accuracy of the final product when the total playing time exceeds 78 minutes.
- Total number of tracks should not exceed 99 and the minimum track playing time should be 4 seconds (according to The Philips Red Book).
- CD-Text / ISRC / EAN / UPC must be recorded onto the submitted master. Additional charges apply when 8Merch is ordered to insert the above mentioned codes / information. Please note that this meta data is not obligatory and it is only up to you, if you would like to include it on your master audio.
Submitting Audio Master
- Master can be submitted as a production-ready copy as DDP file with md5 checksum. It is also possible to submit the master as BIN+CUE, ISO or NRG files, but after prior approval from 8Merch team.
- Master can be submitted as a production-ready copy on CDR or DVDR. While submitting a physical master, please label it clearly “MASTER” on the disc surface, accompanied by artist name and release title.
- Master can be submitted as a zipped package with WAV files. However, it is obligatory to compile a DDP master image out of them, which we can perform as additional service charged at 50 EUR. You will receive that DDP image with embedded player, so you can listen and approve, before we process it further.
- You are strongly advised to keep a backup copy of the master.
- Master submitted to 8Merch must be prepared as a final release – we will replicate it to the total number of ordered copies.
- Master can be uploaded to 8merch.wetransfer.com (if it is submitted in a digital format) or sent to our office (if submitted in a physical format).
- Please note that we offer professional mastering services, in case you are in need of them. Please contact us for detailed pricing.
Artwork Preparation: Print Basics
CMYK is the colour scheme we use for printing your artwork. Everything we print is converted into four basic colours (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, blacK/Key). The reason why Black is not represented by ‘B’ but with ‘K’ is the that Black colour is called the Key colour. It determins the depth, the shade, the brightness of the base colors while Cyjan, Magenta and Yellow creates the main hue.
RGB stands for Red, Green and Blue. These combination is created for on-screen preview. Everything we see on the screen of our laptops and smartphones is created out of these three, basic colours. Since screens are highlighted from the back, preview is usually more vivid, colours are more intense. In 99,9% of cases the final print outcome is darker, less vivid.
It’s highly important to provide artwork already prepared in the CMYK scheme since converting (which is required and impossible to avoid) may cause unexpected changes in colours.
Artwork Preparation: Print Refinements & Extras
There are several finish options to use when it comes to the material surface final outcome. The most basic are lamination, lacquer and reverse side print.
Lamination is the best protection layer. It comes with glossy and matte finish. The glossy lamination tends to bring up the contrast but darknes the artwork. The matte lamination lowers the contrast and brights up the outcome a bit.
The lacquer layer if required to be placed on material when lamination is not chosen. It helps to protect the paint, but it’s on the solution which can be compared with lamination.
The reverse side gives rough to the touch outcome. Artwork is always darker and paler due to higher paint absorption.
Pre-press & DTP Process
It might help you to speed up the process and provide print-ready files without mistakes.
- Colours are CMYK or greyscale
- All images and bitmaps are at least 300 dpi
- Text is not smaller then 5 pt
- All fonts are converted into shapes or front files are supplied with artwork files
- All small letters in black are in K colour only (0C 0M 0Y 100K)
- There are no printing marks or templates lines on top of the artwork
- Booklet pages order is clearly marked in file names or there is preview included
- Bleed and safety margin are correctly preserved
- Barcode is in vectors and K colour only (0C 0M 0Y 100K)
- Text are read twice. After digital proofs approval artwork changes are charged with additional fee